On Monday we had a Family Home Evening Lesson on personal history & how important it is to document our lives, because in the generations that follow even the smallest details will be interesting to our future family members. The whole lesson I was thinking about my blog & how I've slacked off. This is basically my journal, my scrapbook--I need to do a better job.
So, if there is a flurry of posts the next few days, you know why.
So before I forget all the details, here is Connor's birth story...
Sunday, January 12th was my due date. I woke up with NO expectations of going into labor. I thought I would have lots of contractions, all day, that lead to nothing. Again. That's usually how things went (with all but Curtis).
I sent the kids to church with Elias & I stayed home. I can't remember why, either I wasn't feeling well.....or you know, I was a million months pregnant.
About a half hour after they left I started spotting and called Elias. I wasn't having contractions just yet, so I told him to stay, but answer his phone no matter what. He thought for sure that I was going into labor (he didn't tell me this until later) & was surprised when he made it all the way through church. The contractions started about and hour or so later (about 10:30 am).
Here's the thing. I have a lot of false alarms. I have lots of contractions, that often are regular. The week before I had contractions 5 minutes apart for hours & went in to be safe. Nothing. I also have a history of very quick labors- Hailey was 2 hours, went in labor on my own; Owen was 3 hours from the time they started pitocin and broke my water. So the doctors made sure I knew that if I had contractions for an hour I was to head in. For one, I didn't want to have a baby on the side of the road & two, I need to get the Strep B antibiotics two hours before I deliver (we didn't have to worry about that with Hailey & Owen, thank goodness). I'm still always a little leery though, I've been sent home quite a few times in the past. So...keeping all that in mind, I had a very long day that was filled with questioning & confusion & pondering & doubt.
The contractions didn't stop, but they didn't regulate very well either. I would have a few 10 minutes apart, then another at 3, 5 or 7 minutes. It was sporadic all day. The only thing that changed was that they were getting stronger, but that had happened before too. By early afternoon I still wasn't convinced that I was going to have a baby anytime soon, but the contractions were getting to me. I was in pain. I remember crying because I "knew" that they were just going to go away, just like every other time. I also remember gripping the wall between the dining room and living room as a contraction hit & seeing the look of concern on all my kids' faces and Hailey asking if I was okay. Even Oliver came up to me a few times that day and patted my leg and asked with his little voice "you ok momma?".
I decided (or Elias sent me) to go lay down for a while. I fell asleep, it was awesome. No contractions woke me up. When I got up, I thought I was right, no baby today. But then the contractions came back, and they kept coming. Getting more painful as the day went on, but still, so irregular.
We sent the kids to bed. Elias laid down with Oliver. I watched T.V. while I ticked of the contractions on my stop watch. They seemed to be getting a little closer together and stronger, but still not super regular. At one point I showed the log of my "laps" on my stop watch to Elias. He wasn't convinced they were regular enough either. This was at about 9:00 p.m. The next hour I tried to lay down, didn't help. I tried to take a bath, that lasted about 10 minutes & I was out, it didn't help at all. I tried to lay down next to Elias in bed, that lasted just a few minutes before I got out of bed, had a painful contraction & told Elias "I think we should go". That was at about 10:00. At this point the contractions were about 5-6 minutes apart.
We got going. I woke up Hailey and told her we were heading to the hospital. We dropped off Oliver at my good friend Jenilee's house. And left the older kids home. We got to the hospital at 12:30, I was still sure that I was going to be sent home. I think I was in defense mode at that point, not wanting to get my hopes up.
I got changed and into bed. They checked me, I was a 7-8! With a bulging bag-which worried the nurses a LOT. The got the antibiotics going & we all prayed that he would wait two hours. At that point I figured that I wasn't getting an epidural, I had done it twice before with out one, I could do it again. The nurses had offered, saying the anesthesiologist was in a c-section but would be out soon. By the time he was available I was 8-9 and I thought for sure that if I had one he would come, and it hadn't been two hours yet. So I told the nurses "not to worry about it".
During all that Elias had called another good friend Jodi, who we had arranged to go to our house if needed to get the kids off to school. We didn't think this through well. We locked the door & didn't leave a key (we were in labor, you forget things). She ended up ringing the door bell for over an hour & Elias called the kids every 5 minutes (he had put the phone in the boys room) trying to wake them up with no success. Really, kids? It turned out that Hailey had woken up, but was confused. They were all okay though. We ended up getting the key to them and Jodi was there to get them off to school.
The next 4 or so hours were, well laborious. The contractions were getting very strong, but I could handle it pretty well. I had a few minutes break in between each for a while. I even joked with the nurses about refusing the epidural when he hadn't come by 4:00. Toward the end I started holding my breath and the nurses had to tell me to take deep breaths, I did and didn't have to get oxygen or anything.
Not much later I was fully dilated. My water still hadn't broken & the doctor decided to have me push to break it. I pushed with 3 or 4 contractions. Nothing. Which is unusual, because with the last 3 it only took that many contractions & they were out. At this point I was super tired, it was around 5:00 am and I hadn't slept in forever, and the only thought I had going through my head was questioning whether or not I was going to be able to do this. The next part is completely a blur. Here's what I can remember. The doctor came in and broke my water. Ouch. The bottom of the bed wasn't taken down, but everything else was ready. The doctor left. The nurses had me push a few times, then called for the doctor saying he better hurry. I said "I can't do this" at one point...otherwise I said nothing. I was pushing and he was coming. Elias said it all happened very fast (it didn't seem so fast to me). I remember the doctor telling me to push one last time & the nurse repeating him and then Connor was here. Relief.
They put him on my belly and started cleaning him off. The nurse kept calling him "she" which confused me a lot. I picked up his leg to check. Nope, it was a boy. She laughed (we all laughed) and she apologized. The asked what his name was, I said "Collin. Wait! no Connor!" (the next week or so I would slip up and call him Collin...I worried we named him the wrong thing, but I liked Connor so much better. But that hasn't happened in months, and Connor suits him...it still makes me laugh when I think about it).
They whisked him away to take his vitals and such. I had to remind Elias to take pictures. The nurse came over to take care of me and told me to not be shocked when I saw him because his face was bruised quite a bit because he came so, so fast. He was born at 5:12 a.m. on January 13th. He weighed 7 lbs. 11.4 oz. and was 21 inches long. The nurses were telling me how great I did, how I did such a super job, how I was awesome...I'm sure they tell everyone that--but it feels really good none the less.
While they were cleaning him up Elias called the kids to tell them he was here. Before he could tell them anything Curtis asked "What's that noise?" to which Elias replied "Your baby brother, crying." it was great.
He was handed back to me & got to look him over, marvel at just how adorable he was & start the bonding. The bruising was bad, I didn't realize how bad until later that morning, after I had slept for a bit He nursed right away & was a champion nurser. Elias held him. We were in love (still are).
The kids came to meet him after they got out of school that day. They were all very excited...and apparently waiting through the WHOLE school day was just too much. I always love watching the older siblings meet the new baby. It's so sweet how excited they are and how much they love right away.
We went home the next day (I'm not one for hanging out in the hospital much). I was ready to get home. Elias had the next two weeks off and the kids ended up having most of the time off school too, due to snow days. It was nice having the time together...and not having to get kids up and out the door for school & the extra helping hands.
We are all so happy Connor joined our family. He is such a happy, smiley baby. I think he has us all wrapped around his little finger, especially Hailey...I think she has gotten over not having a little sister.
Now, on to the pictures....
excuse the one I look crazy in...I just had a baby after all :)
P.S. Connor was born on the 2nd anniversary of my dad's accident. Mom reminded us, then said "now we have something happy to remember on this day!" Maybe it was meant to be...I think so.
1 comment:
I love birth stories! Thanks for sharing your's.
Post a Comment