10.13.2009

Time Out For Women...Richmond, VA '09

I was very brave last Saturday (for me)...I drove to Richmond, VA, all by myself, to go to a Time Out For Women event (if you have never gone--go...it is a great experience, this is my second time). Luckily I gave myself an extra hour, because it is so dark and 1 1/2 hours of the 2 hour trip are on back roads, & I missed my first turn by a long way and turned the wrong way on the second (don't try to read directions in a dark car), after that everything went smoothly & I got there with plenty of time. All they presenters were great (and super funny...in that LDS humor type of way, that only we get). I spent almost the whole day alone, until the last break, where I found all the ladies from my ward and went to sit with them-(which was great)...we are already planning to go to Pittsburgh, PA in April for another TOFW. I had such a great time, I really needed to go (it is crazy how relevant how all the talks were for me...just wait). I left feeling uplifted and inspired...and a little proud of myself for being brave.

*me..of course...I had to take it of myself & felt just a little dumb, but at least I documented that I was there :)*

*Hillary Weeks...Such a great singer and so funny*

*Deanne Flynn...she talked about parenting and focusing our time on family time, where it should be. She said "don't survive...thrive"...something I really needed to hear...I have only been surviving for so long...*

*Brent Top...he talked a lot about relying on Heavenly Father during times of trial (or everyday)& believing in ourselves. He used the story of Peter walking on the water towards Jesus, he said something like this "We will be rescued...when we walk on water by ourselves we will sink, when we walk with HIM we will not fail."*

*Kim Nelson...he said a lot that really stuck with me and that I really needed to hear (and by the way, I laughed through almost the whole talk, it was great)...basically about loving yourself and giving yourself credit...here are a few of my favorites..."treat yourself how you would treat your daughter. Our role is as a daughter of Heavenly Father, His love is automatic." "Take off the garbage colored glasses...see yourself as you see your sisters...it is okay to be less than perfect" "Our effort and Heavenly Father's heart make everything you do a masterpiece". He also said to get rid of double standards (the ones I have for myself compared to everyone else); & accept compliments without deflecting (am I even capable of that?)I am working on it :)*

*Mary Ellen Edmunds: she talked about "Sweet Assurance", knowing who we are, that our Heavenly Father loves us, and we can return to Him. My favorites..."Sweet assurance allows you to look at things different, allows us to look on the bright side, have a 'Heavenly View' " "With the help of our Heavenly Father & our sweet assurance we can create our own little bit of blue sky surrounded by dark rain clouds" "We can count on Heavenly Father to help us do what we cannot do or don't know how to do...it doesn't matter how far my reach is-he will reach the rest of the way."*
I had such a great time...I can't wait for next year!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks for posting this, Anna! I feel uplifted just by the notes you shared :)

KayC. said...

I am so glad that you went...very "pleased" that you went by yourself and that you know that you can do want ever you want when you put your mind to it. Which your whole family knows you can do , by the way! Lots of love!

Janee said...

I'm going to see if they have this out west! I definitely need to hear that "don't survive...thrive" talk!